Great News! Booking a ferry to Ios Greece is much easier for this summer ! Most of the major ferry operators have now posted their ferry schedules for the Greek Islands well in advance for the first time ever.
This means booking all your travel plans for getting to Ios and the other Greek islands so much simpler! Gone are the days when ferry schedules were not posted until at least April for the summer season.
To find out more information on how to get to Ios Greece check out our Getting to Ios Page where you can also find a ferry booking tool to check availability and book your ferry to Ios this year.
If you’re planning to visit this enchanting island, the ferry route from Athens, Mykonos, or Santorini is a popular and convenient option. In this blog post, we’ll guide you through getting to Ios by ferry from these three Greek destinations.
Main ferry routes to Ios Greece
Athens to Ios by Ferry: Your Greek island adventure begins in Athens, the historic capital city. From the bustling port of Piraeus, several ferry companies operate daily routes to Ios during the summer season. The journey takes around 4 to 7 hours, depending on the type of ferry you choose. High-speed catamarans provide a quicker trip, while conventional ferries offer a more leisurely experience, allowing you to enjoy the stunning Aegean Sea views along the way. Be sure to check the ferry schedules in advance and consider booking your tickets early, especially during peak travel periods.
Mykonos to Ios by Ferry: If you find yourself exploring the cosmopolitan island of Mykonos, you can easily continue your island-hopping adventure to Ios. Mykonos is well-connected to Ios by ferry, and the journey usually takes around 1 to 2 hours, depending on the ferry type. Several ferry companies offer regular services between the two islands, allowing you to enjoy the laid-back beaches and vibrant nightlife of Mykonos before immersing yourself in the captivating charm of Ios. Remember to check the ferry schedules, as they may vary depending on the season.
Santorini to Ios by Ferry: Santorini, with its iconic whitewashed buildings and stunning sunsets, is another popular starting point for travelers heading to Ios Greece. Ferry connections between Santorini and Ios are readily available, with a journey time of approximately 1 to 2 hours. Santorini’s port, Athinios, serves as the main departure point for ferries to Ios. As Santorini is a highly visited destination, especially during the summer months, it’s advisable to book your ferry tickets in advance to secure your preferred departure time.
Tips for a Smooth Ferry Experience:
- Plan ahead: Research the ferry schedules, ticket prices, and available ferry companies well in advance to ensure a smooth journey and avoid any last-minute complications.
- Be punctual: Arrive at the port early to check-in and board the ferry without any rush. Ferry departure times are generally reliable, but it’s still a good practice to be there ahead of time.
- Pack essentials: Carry essentials like water, snacks, sunscreen, and any medications you may need during the journey. Additionally, bring along some entertainment such as books or music to make the trip more enjoyable.
- Stay connected: Although most ferries offer Wi-Fi onboard, it’s always a good idea to have offline maps and important contact information handy in case of any unforeseen circumstances.
- Enjoy the journey: The ferry ride itself is an opportunity to soak in the stunning Aegean Sea views, so be sure to relax and enjoy the journey.
Embarking on an island-hopping adventure to Ios, Greece, from Athens, Mykonos, or Santorini is an exciting and convenient way to explore the beauty of the Aegean Sea. Whether you choose to start your journey in Athens, Mykonos, or Santorini, the ferry routes to Ios offer a chance to witness the mesmerizing landscapes, vibrant cultures, and unique experiences that each of these Greek islands has to offer. So, plan your trip, book your Ios Greece ferry tickets, and get ready for an unforgettable adventure in the enchanting island paradise of Ios.